In this article, we will be reviewing the best small chainsaws on the market. In an attempt to save time and money, many people choose to buy a smaller chainsaw but they are afraid that it won’t have enough power for their needs. This is not always the case though! Smaller models can have just as much power as larger ones and you might find that they are more affordable for your budget. We will discuss some of our favorite small-sized chainsaws that you can use for cutting firewood or clearing out brush from your yard.
List of the Best Saw Horses:
- Husqvarna 120 Mark II 16 in. Gas Chainsaw
- Poulan PL3816 Gas-Powered Chainsaw
- ECHO CS-310 Gas Chainsaw
- Husqvarna 435 16′′ Gas Chainsaw
- Husqvarna 435e II Gas Chainsaw
- Echo CS-271T-12 12′′ 26.9CC
- Milwaukee M12
- Torryza Mini Chainsaw
- DeWalt DCCS620B
- Makita XCU06Z
Best small chainsaw in 2021
Choosing a chainsaw is not an easy task. There are so many different models on the market right now, and they all have their own unique pros and cons.
1- Husqvarna 120 Mark II 16 in. Gas Chainsaw
The Husqvarna 120 Mark II 16 in. Gas Chainsaw is a great choice for homeowners who want power and reliability from their chainsaws. It provides an impressive cutting performance, especially on hardwood logs due to its X-Torq engine design which reduces emissions by 30% compared to the predecessor S model.
The Husqvarna 120 Mark II 16 in. Gas Chainsaw is a lot of power for its size, easy to use and very well-balanced. It has an automatic chain oiler that will keep the blade lubricated during cutting operations so there’s no need to stop work or refill it with oil before continuing.
- Automatic chain oiler keeps blade lubricated during cutting operations
- Side access chain tensioner allows quick adjustments while you’re working
- Ergonomic design keeps hands from quickly tiring
- Large oil tank capacity for less refilling of saw’s gas powered engine
- 16 in. bar allows you to cut more before having to refuel compared to 15-inch bars on other chainsaws
- Weighs only 12 pounds so it is easy to carry and store between jobs or when you’re not using it during the off-season
- Anti-vibration system for comfort and to keep dust from sticking inside chainsaw’s engine so that it is easier to start next time
- Air purge mechanism keeps sawdust out of operating parts, making them harder to clog while starting up.
- Chain oiler can drip after shutting off saw if you do not wait for it to stop automatically
- Air purging system has a tendency to make the chainsaw difficult to start.
2- Poulan PL3816 Gas-Powered Chainsaw
The Poulin 3816 is a small gas powered chainsaw with great cutting power. It has 16” bar and chain that makes it perfect for cutting firewood or pruning trees in the backyard. The large fuel tank adds to the usability of this saw, allowing you to cut for longer without having to stop and refill.
- Tool-free chain tensioning system for quick and simple adjustments on site.
- Adjustable oil reservoir with a clear sight window lets you see when it’s time to top off your engine lubrication, so there are no surprises during an important job or project.
- The driveshaft is designed to reduce friction and ensure proper operation, so you can get the job done quickly and efficiently with less downtime for maintenance or repairs.
- Vibration dampening rubber grip handle provides comfort and control while reducing fatigue, so you can work for longer periods of time without experiencing discomfort.
- Designed with an air purge to ensure proper fuel flow. This keeps your carburetor working properly, even during the harshest weather conditions or when stored long term between uses.
- The 38cc engine is much smaller and lighter than other similarly powered models. This makes it perfect for those who need to transport their saw regularly or may be required to carry a chainsaw up flights of stairs as part of the job.
- This model weighs only 12 pounds, making it one of the lightest models on the market. This also makes it easier to transport, even for smaller jobs or those who are less physically able than others might be.
- This is a very well made chainsaw that is durable and still affordable enough to fit into most budgets without stretching them too much. It’s easy to use, lightweight design makes this one of the most popular small chainsaws on the market today.
- Great value for the money
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Very easy to transport
- Easy-to-use safety features
- The chainsaw oil tank is not transparent, making it hard to tell when you need a refill
- Wet conditions can cause chain slippage due to lack of friction with the ground
3- ECHO CS-310 Gas Chainsaw
A good small chainsaw should be easy to start, provide good power and run for a long time without needing gas. The Echo CS310 Gas Chainsaw meets those standards plus more! It is also lightweight at only 15pounds and has an automatic chain oiler which keeps the chain lubricated and you’ll never have to manually add any oil during use. A great choice for homeowners who need to occasionally cut firewood or fell small trees.
The ECHO CS-310 also comes with a durable, high carbon steel bar and chain. It’s perfect for small jobs and it’ll last you a lifetime.
- Chain oiler, easy to start
- High price point
4- Husqvarna 435 16′′ Gas Chainsaw
The Husqvarna 435 16′′ Gas Chainsaw is powered by a powerful X-Torq® engine that offers optimal performance and lowers fuel consumption. The air injection system ensures an efficient, clean burn of the gas to reduce emissions for good outdoor air quality, while also protecting the environment. This chainsaw includes many safety features like an integrated chain brake and a low kickback design.
The Husqvarna 435 16′′ Gas Chainsaw is great for felling trees, limbing small branches, and cutting firewood.
The Husqvarna 435 Super 16 inch chainsaw has a heated handle and an anti-vibration system to keep you comfortable while working for hours on end. With its PowerSharp feature, you never need to worry about sharpening the chain again. It delivers 40% more cutting capacity than 14 inch saws and with its X-Torq engine, it provides high torque output over a wider RPM band for increased productivity.
- Great for felling and pruning
- This gas chainsaw has a low kickback bar and chain to reduce the potential for injury while operating it safely
- With a 16 inch blade and 40cc engine, it can power through even the toughest jobs
- Some users reported that this chainsaw was difficult to start out of the box; however, the manufacturer offers an easy start-up guide to help get it started more quickly.
5- Husqvarna 435e II Gas Chainsaw
The Husqvarna 435e II Gas Chainsaw is a powerful saw capable of cutting through logs and firewood with ease. The 12″ guide bar gives you the power to take on jobs both big and small, while still providing excellent maneuverability due to its lightweight design (weighing only 11 pounds). Customers love this chainsaw because it is capable of cutting through trees without the need for a pull-start.
It has an excellent “anti-vibration system” to help you cut for extended periods of time without feeling fatigued, and reviewers love its cutting power in comparison with other models that are slightly more affordable. It also is a very easy model to start up when it’s cold outside or when you don’t feel like wrestling with your saw.
- Strong engine for lots of cutting power
- Expensive, so it’s not a great choice if you’re looking to save money on your purchase.
6- Echo CS-271T-12 12′′ 26.9CC
The Echo CS-271T-12 12′′ 26.9CC is a great entry-level saw for those who are looking to cut firewood, limbs, and logs around the yard. It’s got an easy start system that makes it easier than ever to keep your chainsaw running smoothly. This small chainsaw has a powerful 26 cc engine so you can rip through thicker wood types without having to make multiple cuts. It’s got a lightweight design that makes it easy to maneuver, and at less than 11 pounds, you’ll barely notice the weight when you’re carrying it around your property all day long.
It comes with Echo’s multi-point anti vibration system that makes this easier on your arms when using for long periods of time.
- Powerful 26.90 cc engine
- Multi-point anti vibration system for ease of use
- More expensive than other options
- Not enough power to cut through thicker logs or trees without bogging down, which can be dangerous around the house if you are not careful. Also may need a bar extension kit depending on what you are cutting.
7- Milwaukee M12 2527-21
Milwaukee M12 Cordless Electric Chain Saw is a small compact chainsaw that provides clean and quick cuts when needed. It weighs in at only seven pounds, which makes it extremely easy to handle and use for extended periods of time. The electric motor inside can produce up to 18 V of power to give you enough cutting power for most basic jobs around the house.
It comes with a small plastic scabbard that is meant to hold it when not in use, but some users have complained about this cover being flimsy and cheap looking. It can easily be replaced by any other type of carrying case or holster if desired, though. The saw also has an 18 inch bar that makes it a great saw for people who need something small yet powerful. It is also one of the more affordable electric chainsaws on the market right now, which means you can pick up two or three without breaking your budget!
Milwaukee M12 comes with an impressive number of features, has great cutting capacity for its size, is lightweight and compact so it is easy to carry around.
- Can use with a cord or without
- Powerful, lightweight, and easy to handle for long periods of time
- LED lights to make it easier to work in low light conditions
- Battery life isn’t the best when used regularly. It’s not a big deal if you have a spare one though because they are rechargeable
- There is no electric start. If you’re not comfortable pulling starting it, this may not be the best choice for you
8- Torryza Mini Chainsaw
Torryza Mini Chainsaw is a lightweight and compact chainsaw. It features anti-vibration technology, making it comfortable to use in your hand or on an extension pole while you work.
The Torryza Mini Chainsaw is a great choice if you’re looking for a powerful chainsaw that’s also easy to use. The lightweight design and comfortable handle make it an ideal tool for regular gardeners or DIY enthusiasts, while its low price makes it affordable enough for occasional users too! It has a compact size which means you can use it to cut up fallen branches in even the tightest of spaces with ease.
- Lightweight yet powerful
- Easy to use
- Oil needs to be adjusted often if used on a regular basis.
9- DeWalt DCCS620B
This cordless chainsaw is perfect for those who want a small chainsaw to do minor tasks around the yard. It’s great as an extra tool especially when you need something faster than your large gas powered chainsaws. This product also has all of the power and features you would expect from DeWalt, making it – like all the other best small chainsaws – an excellent choice for those looking to buy.
It has an efficient brushless motor, it can be used for DIY projects as well as professional jobs. It weighs only 11 pounds including batteries making it one of the lightest cordless chainsaws in the market.
- It is light weight providing comfortability for users.
- Easy to use and operate.
- Has an auto lubrication system which makes the chain smooth while working on wood surfaces.
- Its electric brake provides safety during operation by stopping it automatically when the trigger is not pressed down.
- It has only one year warranty ( could be an issue for some users)
- It jams frequently on hardwood surfaces
10- Makita XCU06Z
The Makita XCU06Z is a top of the line chainsaw capable of cutting through all types of material. It can be used for both indoor and outdoor applications, making it perfect for anyone looking to buy a saw with no limitations. The motor provides enough power to cut through larger trees or smaller wood pieces equally well, giving you complete control over your work.
This is an awesome lightweight chainsaw for the price. It’s perfect if you need to take care of small clean-ups or yard work in general.
This is a great saw if you are looking for something that can handle many different tasks without any issues. It’s small enough to carry around with ease, but don’t mistake it for being weak! This saw has more than enough power and versatility to stand up against most larger chainsaws on the market today.
The most notable feature of this saw is the fact that it can be used with a variety of different attachments and accessories. Not only does this give you more freedom in how you use your saw, but also allows for even more uses than ever before! This will come in handy both indoors and outdoors so you never have to worry about being limited in the types of work you can complete.
This saw is highly versatile and has many great features that make it a good choice for anyone looking to buy their first chainsaw or needs something more powerful than what they currently have. It’s easy enough to use so anyone can pick up and go but still maintains enough power behind it to ensure that it can handle any job you throw at it.
- asy to carry
- Cuts well with a powerful motor, no issues cutting through anything I’ve thrown at it so far
- The battery life isn’t great when used continuously for an extended period of time. It lasts about 30 minutes before needing a recharge which can be inconvenient if you’re trying to do a lot of cutting.
- The chainsaw is a bit loud which makes it difficult to use around other people without ear protection.
The risks of mini chainsaws
The risks of mini chainsaw injuries are very real. This is especially true if your chainsaws aren’t equipped with the proper safety features, or you don’t take basic precautions like wearing protective clothing and eye gear when working with these tools. If not properly maintained, chainsaws can also be prone to overheating or breaking, which are two additional risks for the user.
Mini Chainsaw FAQs
Should I buy a gas chainsaw or an electric chainsaw?
This is one of the most common questions we get asked. The choice between gas and electric has nothing to do with power; both types are capable of cutting through just about anything, given enough time. It all comes down to personal preference. Gas chainsaws provide more consistent power but require fuel and oil that you have to mix. Electric chainsaws are typically lighter and quieter, but they need to stay plugged into an outlet for power. If you’re new to using a chainsaw, I recommend buying the best small electric saw that you can afford; if it turns out that you love working with a chainsaw, then eventually invest in one of the best gas chainsaws.
Electric vs Gas Chainsaws
The Pros of Electric Chainsaws:
- No need to maintain the chainsaw by mixing gas and oil.
- Cheaper to purchase an electric saw.
- Easier on your home’s environment because there are no exhaust fumes from gasoline combustion.
- Not as powerful and does not have the same cutting power.
The Pros of Gas Chainsaws:
- More powerful than an electric chainsaw, making it easier to cut through wood that is wet or dense.
- The exhaust fumes are less harmful because they do not contain carbon monoxide like gas mowers.
- Gas chainsaws are more expensive to purchase and more expensive over time due to gasoline costs and the need for maintenance, such as mixing gas and oil in order to keep it running smoothly.
Main uses for mini and small chainsaws
These models are lighter than full-size chainsaws so they require less effort to be operated. That’s why it’s useful for cutting wood for the fireplace, tree branches, and other gardening activities. However, it is important that both hands of the user remain on handles otherwise saw can jump out or even cut off a limb!
How small should you go when choosing a lightweight chainsaw?
If you are small or have little to no experience, then maybe a smaller chainsaw is best for you. Lighter saws will give less fatigue over time and allow more control when felling trees. While the bigger models might be able to take down larger trees in one chop, they can also cause injury if not used properly.
The best small chainsaw will make your job easy and allow you to focus on the task at hand, not your tool. Smaller chainsaws are also easier to use for those that have never used a chainsaw before or if you want something lightweight with little power that can be easily maneuvered by anyone who needs it.
The Milwaukee M12 2527-21 is a great tool for light pruning and landscaping. The Husqvarna 120 marks II also has a powerful, high-performance gas engine that will meet its objective. The 6.5-inch chain bars are ideal for trimming the leaves, removing big branches, and limb removal. If looking for one of these types of saws, it is recommended to check out their specifications and features before making a purchase. This way you can be sure that the saw will meet your needs for both purpose and comfort.